Sunday, March 30, 2008

Every night when I am lucky enough to put the boys to bed, as I climb up on the top bunk to tuck Gabe in, say our prayers, and then do the "Kiss, hug, squeeze, shake hands, sack of potato routine" I am struck by this thought - I am so very thankful that as I lay my children down for the night, they are clean and happy and dry and their tummies are full and they have warm soft beds to sleep in. This always hits me just as I reach the top rung of the ladder and flop down next to Gabe, and the feeling is so overwhelming I feel like my whole body is just saying "Thank You." During those moments I am never able to think beyond the gratitude, although many other times as I reflect I begin to think of all the other mothers in the world that love their children as much as I love all of mine (is it possible? Yes - it's what makes motherhood so sacred) and why not all of them have warm soft safe places to lay their babies. And the only conclusion I reach is that while life on earth is not perfect, in heaven it will be, but in the mean time I must remember those mothers and babies and do what I can for them, while teaching my children to love others so they might also bring comfort. At which point I feel so proud of Jacob for taking a trip down to Mexico, not just to travel and grow and enjoy, but to hold and love and teach the little ones there. Tonight I am so very thankful that at the end of the day, when the dishes are done (for the moment) and the house is quiet, I can momentarily see past the tiny issues that make up each day in order to see what God is doing and has done for my family.

4 comments:

Wesley said...

Well said my dear Sister in law.
Love to all from Puerto Rico.
Take care and take time to enjoy the little things in life.
Patty and Family

Steph said...

Awww....I have to agree! Bedtime is my favorite time for cuddling and reminiscing and being very thankful for my children!

Joshua said...

I am with you my friend.
What a sad selfish life we would have if not for the children the Lord blessed us with. Thanks be to God!

Apple said...

Hi. I'm visiting from StephG's page. That was so beautifully written and so true. Thanks for sharing.

What can I say? A picture is worth a thousand words

What can I say? A picture is worth a thousand words

How many cups of coffee do you drink in a day?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep,
to gain what he cannot lose."
-Jim Elliot
"If You wanted me to be like You,
Why'd you make me like me?

If You wanted me to love You only,
Why'd you make the moonlight sparkle in her eyes?"

--Todd Agnew