Monday, March 31, 2008

Today was DJ's funeral; some of us from Margarita's went up to be there for Joanna. We ran into a snow storm on the way, and definitely got lost following some indirect directions from the locals, but we made it in time to give Joanna a big hug and share some tears before the service began.
On a day like today my heart is so full; I thought maybe if I tried to write it down maybe some clarity would shine through for me, but there don't seem to be words that describe the grief that is all too common - a rite, actually- in this human world. There were pictures of DJ as a baby, a boy, a teenager, and a soldier. How did his mother reconcile the photograph of her baby boy taken minutes after he was born with the casket being wheeled down the aisle of a church by soldiers, men she had probably never seen before today? How does Joanna find the strength to begin to rebuild her life,without her lover and best friend?
And why does it all selfishly make me think of my children and what our future holds?
The governor was there, as well as hundreds of other people,and I'm so thankful for Joanna's sake that DJ"s death was mourned by so many.
God bless.

2 comments:

Steph said...

(disclaimer:this comment is in no way related to this post!)
I may be a nut, but that's why you love me...I'm entertaining! That's why Mike puts up with me to, I think!

Steph said...

(another disclaimer: not related to this post)

So, chica, I'm thinking the color of your blog needs to change. It's not bad, just...mustardy (if that's a word!) Don't get me wrong, I'll check your blog out no matter what color it is. It could be barf colored and I'd still check it out...lol...I can give you a cool site to check out for something other than "Blogger" layouts!
Love ya!

What can I say? A picture is worth a thousand words

What can I say? A picture is worth a thousand words

How many cups of coffee do you drink in a day?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep,
to gain what he cannot lose."
-Jim Elliot
"If You wanted me to be like You,
Why'd you make me like me?

If You wanted me to love You only,
Why'd you make the moonlight sparkle in her eyes?"

--Todd Agnew